Alice in the Forest...

Heaps, Random Number, Hashing algorithms,Self-Balancing Trees have always had me kind of confused a bit around the edges. Add AVL and Red-Black Trees into the equation and the plot thickens. Recently I had to get my ankles wet with self-balancing Binary Trees to avoid the degenerate worst case, and found myself sinking to the depths instead. I recalled some of the things I had studied, but there was the fuzz arounbd the edges, that you usually see on old sepia toned photographs.

I called out to Google for help and Eternally Confuzzled was among the first few pages it threw back at me. Written by Julienne Walker[happyfrosty@hotmail.com], it deals with Trees, hashes, Rand Numbers, etc. If you are also one of those who think a "Hit" is something that the mob orders, and that you should avoid being the target of one, this site is just the place to get you started. An excellent resource for those who are interested in doing more than just CCPT and getting the job done.

Granted that you don't have to know physics to be a pitcher, but having a sound understanding of the underlying ideas always helps, espeacially when those nasty bugs rear their head. Starting with Binary trees, I found myself hooked to the effortless way in which complicated sounding ideas were presented.

<BRAG>While I was at it, I even happened to find a minor but significant bug in the code, and wrote to the author, who promptly responded wiht the promise of a correction.</BRAG>

Overall an execllent resource especially for all the Comp. science and Engg. students who feel a bit flustered by Knuth, Djikstra and the gang.

P.S. Absolutely no offence meant to the GODS of Algorithms.

Comments

snehal said…
Hey Manoj,
of all ur posts.. I think this 1 is exceptionally well written.
vsat said…
I agree with the above sentiments...
Manoj Pillai said…
Thanks Snehal-san.